Friday, May 20, 2005

to read or not to read?


books?
Originally uploaded by wes gaines.
"To feel most beautifully alive means to be reading something beautiful, ready always to apprehend in the flow of language the sudden flash of poetry."
- Gaston Bachelard
maybe its because I married a librarian but lately I've been feeling like I need to read more and inevitably every summer I pick a bunch of books (Jabez, 40 Days, Left Behind) that I want to read but rarely do. I have a feeing a few of you may share this feeling so I wanted to start a monthly book reading club for lack of a better word, with the hopes that if more than one of us are reading the same book we might get more out of it by way of discussion and would be more likely to actually read. Here's how I see it working, each month we'll choose a genre, come up with a handful of titles (approximately 200-300 pages)and vote on which to read. If your in, I have taken the liberty of choosing June's genre (Short Fiction Classics) and four selections that you can vote on below here they are, results will be posted on June 1.
Tender is the Night - F.Scott Fitzgerald
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemmingway
Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury
Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger









I think we should read...
Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemmingway
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
None of these interest me I'll stick with the Prayer of Jabez!




Free polls from Pollhost.com

5 comments:

Bill said...

My daughter in law in Ft. Wayne has inspired me to read more and watch less sports (Pistons will win it all - can't wait for Monday' nights game against the Heat). I'm trying!! Calling her on my world phone from the airport book store (where else will you find me), I chose "The Client" by John Grisham. It is 600 pages long, so I will miss the June read. However, I will join this group of readers and join you in July. Go Tigers

sarahjane said...

so, how's the client going anyway?

Bill said...

I'm liking it. Read it istead of watching th Shock.

sarahjane said...

i'm so proud to call you my father-in-law

Bill said...

I am on chapter 10. I go one chapter at a time.