Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Rainmaker


The Rainmaker
Originally uploaded by wes gaines.
There has been alot of bragging out of the 260 lately but this one is well deserved. Congratulations to Sarah who was awarded the Outstanding English Major award last night. She was nominated by her professors as the most distinguished student in her major, which is quite an honor, but check this out: Last night at the award ceremony as she was standing on the podium to receive her reward (in front of hundreds of people), the chairman of her department while introducing her says, "I'd like to read one of Sarah's poems to you." I'm in the audience sitting next to the chairman's wife, she gives me a surprised look and says, "He has never read a student's work before at this banquet." The audience is quiet as Dr. Ramsey reads the title to Sarah's poem "Ode to Water" a poem written in the style of the great Chilean poet Pablo Neruda. He reads this beautifully written poem written about water, which I am trying to secure the rights to put on the blog, and as he finishes the audience breaks out into applause. After the crowd is quited, Dr. Ramsey says "Can you feel the rain coming?" and no lie! as soon as he says this a peel of thunder is heard and it starts to downpour on the roof above! The audience breaks out into applause again and the chairman's wife looks at me like I married some kind of prophetic genius and says "Your wife is powerful!" Again no lie! I think it is a prophetic statement that Sarah through her writing and ideas can bring rains of refreshment even in Fort Wayne! Three cheers to Sarah the Rainmaker, from her proud husband.

3 comments:

Ben and Becky said...

Way to go Sarah!! Much love -B and B.

c-unitsdaddy said...

Felicitaciones, Sarah! DAAAAAANNNNGGGGGG! What can't you do. I hope you weren't writin' ode to snow last night. 21 inches and 40 degrees today and tomorrow! Say what????? Anyways, you're coming to my school to write odes with my students in Spanish. (period)

Jefe

Bill said...

I am very proud of you Sarah. I am not much of a poem reader, but this one I have to read. Please post it as soon as possible.