Friday, April 08, 2005

Classic worship moment at His House

A good friend of mine is beginning the process of leading worship. Mark was to play one song last night for fellowship and I told him that it was during the second set, third song. He gets very nervous when he knows he is going to sing and play. I always tell him not to worry about those people in the congregation; they will follow you wherever you go. Well, Mark went………….a little too soon. As I was praying for communion, Mark started strumming the intro to his song. I thoughtto myself as I was praying, “Hopefully Mark doesn’t keep playing after I am done praying here.” Sweating profusely, Mark totally forgot we were done with the first set of songs and now moving into communion. As my friend Jeff came up to give the offering message, Mark kept playing the intro to his song. I looked at Jeff and he was chuckling. As three hundred people were wondering whether to get ready to sing or sit, I made a split decision. Jeff was on the stage right next to me ready to speak, Mark was more than ready to sing. Do I leave Jeff hanging and let the song go. I chose not to. As Mark was about to dive into the song I said, “Mark, not yet.” He looked at me and stopped playing. As the guitar slowing stopped making noise, Jeff started laughing, obviously because of the awkward silence about to follow. I looked at Mark. “Deer in headlights” is the phrase that comes to mind. As Mark turned to me, I saw a scared little child within him and then he said, “Ooops!” He started to laugh too. Then the congregation gave a little laugh. Jeff delivered the offering message with great ease and everything turned out alright. I later told Mark that I’ve done worse than that, and sometimes you just got to laugh. He did a great job the 2nd session of worship and nailed his song……………………… sweating profusely.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Reminds me of the time at BCC when I was preaching and Randy (moved by something) got up and went to the piano when I was still only in my second point and began playing the intro to the invitation. I didn't know what to do, so I just kept going and he played about a 15 minute intro. I don't think he even noticed because he was in R zone!

wes gaines said...

I've been there steve: once while leading the spanish speaking service I had to tell this 40 year old man that he wasn't cutting it on the drums. He also played guitar and so the only thing I could think to say in Spanish to get him off those drums was "guitarra, guitarra". He hung his head, slowly walked over and picked up the guitar.