Thursday, December 15, 2005

Andrew's Best

Music:
1. Animal Collective – Feels
2. Sufjan Stevens- Illinoise
3. Kanye West- Late Registration
4. Broken Social Scene- self titled
5. Wolf Parade – Apologies to the Queen Mary

Honorable Mention
Gorrilaz – Demon Days, Beck –Guero, The Go! Team –Thunder, Lightning, Strike, Cocorosie – Noah’s Ark, Antony & the Johnsons –I am a Bird Now, The Fiery Furnaces –EP, M.I.A. – Arular, Feist – Let it Die, Small Sur – self titled, Ben and Bruno –self titled, Sigur Ros –Takk, Devendra Banhart- Cripple Crow


Top 5 Movies I didn’t see (yet):
1.THE SQUID AND THE WHALE
2.MUNICH
3.SYRIANA
4.CAPOTE
5.BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Only good movies I did see
1. Me and You and Everyone We Know
2. The Life Aquatic (technically 2004)
3. Walk the Line

Best shows:
1. Animal Collective –The El Rey Theatre
2. Sigur Ros – Hollywood Bowl
3. Arcade Fire/David Byrne –Hollywood Bowl
4. Broken Social Scene/Feist –Henry Fonda Theatre
5. Microphones/Little Wings/Bobby Birdman – Troubadour

Top moments:
1. Japan- hot springs, train rides, country living, Tokyo at night by motorcycle, great food, warm people, rice farming, onigiri at 7-11, Buddhist Temples, Shinto Shrines, being continually lost, a land of contrasts.
2. The Blue Team APU Intramural Basketball – I think Jake said it best, “This team will be remembered for years to come, not because of their highflying antics and bigger than life aurora. But, they will be remembered because they brought hope and inspiration for their fans and foes alike. They were the embodiment of what's right in college sports today. They were fearless and selfless. I think they have something to teach us all!”
3. Graduating from college! – Everybody was there, I gave J.Dub a hug, off into the real world!
4. The Real World – I got a job that I actually like, I have my own place, I live in a city that I love, and I have great friends.
5. Hollyweird – Living in Hollywood with DJ Kid Millionaire (Steve Aoki) was a weird and memorable experience. Sharing a closet space with Patrick, being on ‘the list’ for parties, meeting celebrities, answering the door at 3:00AM in my underwear for his supermodel sister, weird weird weird! I’m glad I’m out of Tinseltown.

Literature:
1. Love in the Time of Cholera –Gabriel Garcia Marquez
2. One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
3. Blue Like Jazz – Don Miller
4. Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky –Noam Chomsky
5. Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto

More to come…

2 comments:

wes gaines said...

nice, good picks. Happy New Year

sarahjane said...

rough life, answering the door for a super model. your life gets more and more mysterious to me.