Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Larry Brown almost got him


sobber
Originally uploaded by sarahjgaines.
I'll have to be honest with you, family, in saying that I fell asleep before the game was over last night. I don't even have to tell you which game and you all know what I'm speaking of. Oh yes, the Pistons.

Is it odd that Wes hoped our Soul Trip team meeting would be cancelled due to a game conflict last week? Is it even odder that Wes thought Andy, the pastor, would do the cancelling? I never understood it, you all know that, but I'll have to admit that last night there occurred another special night in Wes's sports-watching life.

Watch out Phil Mickelson, you might have to contend for Wes's tears. As he recounted the game for me this morning--telling of the Pistons' "great defense" and "solid shots", he also mentioned the last minute huddle before they won. It was Larry Brown's touching words, "Guys, I forgot to tell you. I love you," that made Wes's tear ducts strain under the weight of some fresh salty tears.

No, he didn't cry. But, as he put it, "I could've."

4 comments:

wes gaines said...

Who wasn't moved to tears? I felt like I was watching Hoosiers...I think we are going to REPEAT!!

Abigail said...

I must say that at that moment in the game, as Harley and I sat glued to the LCD, my tear ducts gave way a little as well when I heard Coach Brown's little speech. It was so Norman Dale-esk. Like the Hickory Huskers were going to take the court one last time, and Jimmy Chipwood was going to hit the game winner. Hey, maybe there was no Jimmy, but what about Sheed, Chauncey, Rip, Tashawn, and Big Ben. Andrew, we hope you find that tube! It could be epic and there will be more tears!!

Andrew said...

I`ll find it...(I`ll make it. J.Chitwood).

lena jo said...

You would never hear Pat Riley or Phil Jackson telling his boys that! Come on Pistons, let's win one more for LARRY, LARRY, LARRY!!!!!!!!!