Thursday, June 02, 2005

Ah memories. This is where the majic began for many of us. For Jacob, it was where you said "no" for the first time to Don Clothier's pressure to tie a buzz on with Michelob light, and where your KVC dreams became a realty through the "education of bullpup offense" in plays like red, blue, bulldog, and the infamous "orange and black". For Steve, it was here where you became number 1 in Dad's eyes. Finally, he had his athlete in "shooter". and he could forget about the painful last 3 years with yours truly. For Wes, was birthed his righteous anger towards any injustice, especially a "no call" foul, then being humbled by your best friend's (so called best friend, yeah right, you and WU were even tighter) dad...benched. Also, senor "cluthch" was coming to forefront. Ben, you found out that for the first time you might have to "special order" your tennis shoes or clods. Size 12 by seventh grade is not cool. Also, football became a passion...go figure??? Andrew, you were the last GAINESLAMPI to hit the courts and your style and swagger (and lisp j/k) made uncle Norm and coach Carrow proud. You began a close connection with Carrow, until it tragically ended with a quick exit and boycott of baseball camp. You could of been state champ. gosh. And myself. I made the team 2 years in a row (HA! Mrs. Luck) even if the coach was my dad. Yeah, you all need to ask for my forgiveness, I know you gossipped behind my back! I got through the tough times, Mouser and Miller throwing my sunday's best blue slacks in the urinal, from my seet white reebok pumps stolen from my locker, and the dreaded 2 pts./season. BUT MY MOMENT TOPS ALL Y'ALLZ! After an unforgettable locker room prayer, and plead to God for his son to score (so he wouldn't be humiliated in front of all the other dads) I emerged...a gladiator....top of the key....(WHO PASSED IT AROUND HIS BACK- QUIZ ? 10 blogger pts.)......almost a 3..no it WAS a 3! BANK! I CALLED IT.....swoooooosh....the 4500 fans stand and aplaud their hero...their "Gunner" and Young Gun takes out his pistols and shoots everyone in a epic and shinning moment, never to be forgotten. AHHH....Maltby's gymnasium. Lampi's fieldhouse (name upon the retirement of the greatest coach ever to step on those hallowed grounds. Please chime in on old memories. Loved yours Shooter. Let's all salute the cornerstones of our youth.  Posted by Hello

1 comment:

wes gaines said...

My fondest memory of Lampi Fieldhouse is gym class 6th grade, playing floor hockey in the upper gym, Marky Mark catches me high-sticking, next thing i know "GAINES!!! GET OUT OF HERE!!" Head hung low I walked out and there was Greg Sproul..."Do you need to talk?"..."No I'm alright"

That place was also my haven whenever STAX-O-WAX started spinning "Nothing Compares to You"