Wednesday, June 22, 2005

The Japan Diaries

Ok, I wrote this rather lengthy, thoughtful blog about three days ago but when I tried to publish it the whole thing got erased. Don`t you hate when that happens. the Blog is actually all in Japanese and I had to guess which one was `publish`. I guessed wrong.
But ok, I finished with my Japanese farming experience and it was great, mas o menos. Two weeks of intense labor, early mornings, hot sun, and great vegetarian organic Japanese food for three meals a day. By the end of my time I learned all about rice farming and actually farmed my own little acre of rice! On my last night at the farm they threw me a party and many of the local farmers and villagers came. This experience was surreal. sitting around on straw mats, talking in broken Japanese, listening to the farmers and their stories and struggles of farming in a rapidly changing society (many farms are dying and giving way to large American style factory farms). It was kinda sad but encouraging to see how these farmers organize themselves and make a living and make a difference. They gave a toast in my honour and I gave a speech (total Motorctcle Diaries style, but I didn`t swim accross the river). Not a dry in the house. The night ended singing Japanese folk songs, they taught me all the words. I was handed the guitar and I wrote a song about farming and the coutry life to the tune of `Homosexual Paradise` (the song was later recorded and some guy put it on his website, I kid you not!). It was a great night, fueled my memories, nostalgia, and homeade sake. I`ll value my experience here and I`m glad I decided to do this.

I then went to a friend`s house who I met in Cuba and spent three days there, speaking Spanish. weird. I saw Mt.Fuji through the clouds, I read a lot, and took a lot of walks.

I`m back in Tokyo now. I found an Apple store which is like the land of Milk and honey to the lone traveler. Free internet, music, and fun gadgets. Tokyo is a great change of pace after three weeks in the country. Black and white, and assault on the senses.
I`m surrounded my sparkling lights, loud music, a million video screens, crazy kids, and it`s all packed in so tight.
I`m going to try like hell to find a place to watch the Pistons win the championship. They always play the best in games they have to win, right?

I`ll be home on Sunday. Back to the big smelly beautiful Los Angeles. A fish taco is my first order of business.
I guess I`ll see Jake & Abs soon, Ben and Beck later, and the rest of ya`ll someday soon, I hope. If I can ever figure out how to put pictures up here I have a bunch.
Thanks for your prayers.
I miss you all, I love you all.
Sayonara, from this charming place.
andrew

2 comments:

sarahjane said...

a beautiful travel journal, andrew. we miss you and hope to see you soon.

Welcome. said...

Homosexual Paradise! I love that song. Did I write that?