Tuesday, February 26, 2008

KIPP: LA Prep wins at Staples Center!



My 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team played another game at Staples Center this past Friday, winning 30-25 against a fierce KIPP: KAO team.

I was most proud of how my team played with composure and class, coming together as a team to beat a very imposing opponent. After the shaking hands with the other team we walked off the court and up the aisle where we were greeted with hugs and high fives by our adoring Middle School fans. I admit getting a little caught up in the moment and feeling like the coach in the movie who took a bunch of no-nothings and made them into champions. The movie ends with a freeze frame of me surrounded by my players, fist in the air. Credits roll, Dad tears up.

In other news, my rugby team won again this week-end in the pouring rain. We're 2-2 and looking really good. Already we have more wins then all of last year.

For more photos check out my flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/famousscientist/

11 comments:

lena jo said...

Great photo Ange! You're right, it's the ultimate "feel good sports movie". Dad is so there!!

sarahjane said...

Well done, Coach!

Jake said...

I still wish Norman Dale could bring his LA Prep squad out to take on the mighty Eagles of FCS. Our 7th and 8th team is rebuilding this year struggling to a 1-5 record thus far so you'd probably clean up.

Have you had them measure the height of the rim yet at Staples?

Andrew said...

Jake, Bring it! And I'm not kidding when I say that I had a few kids ask me about the dimensions of the court at Staples Center. I didn't pull out the tape measure, but I did remind them that the same hoop Kobe (not Cobe) shoots on is the same dimension as our hoop at Downey Park Rec. Center.

c-unitsdaddy said...

Andrew,

I'm so proud of you and your team. It gives me chills seeing you there (mid 20s) coaching 7th and 8th grade boys bball. I think back to when I began with a group of bull pups off Brighton and Bauer rd.

War the black jerseys.
War THE Staples nostalgia.
War the Palm trees.
War the gotee.
War the memories of Marky Carrow calling an ISO for A. Gaines.
War the memories of battles between cross-town rivals of Maltby and Scranton.
War me retiring and handing over the whistle to you.

out - Stormin' Norman

c-unitsdaddy said...

War the "What this Nations needs is a REAL bloodbath" tee on casual Friday.

steve lampi said...

Andrew, I'll give you a little tip. Just remember "green", this is a Norm Lampi special. Point gaurd passes ball to man at free throw line, and runs past the side of that man. Free throw line man decides to give it to him or fake it. If I can recall, i think Jeff tended to play heavy to the fake option when he was the free throw line man. Just give it a shot. let me know how it goes.

Steve

c-unitsdaddy said...

did you guys hear? Norm's 7th grade girls team took Hartland to Triple Overtime last night and won with a free throw! Still has it!

debbie said...

What a fi...ne looking coach and team! Congrats to you on both your games this week! Really!!!

And if you need any tips, you do remember the fact that I coached B.H.S. girl's J.V. b.b. team back in '73.... don't you?????
And we did have a winning season (in spite of the coach), thanks to Pam Lee's skills, now the softball coach.

norm said...

Good job Andrew. Remember to tell the kids offense sells tickets, defense wins games. Norm

Bill said...

Could make Thanksgiving morning tradition if they make it into a movie. Fine job coach.