Friday, July 22, 2005

My Afternoon at American Apparel

This afternoon, I was the first to have the privilege of visting Andrew inside corporate America and get a first hand view of his contribution to the GNP. First off, props to Drew for taking time away from the office banter to give me a whirldwind tour of the enormous American Apparel facility. It was a rare look like I've never had into a company that seems for all intensive purposes to be getting it right. I must say that the vibe I got from hanging out around the AA facility seems to fit Andrew well. I would call it laid back, but intentional and thoughtful.

We spent about 45 minutes weaving in and out of different parts of the facility. I was most impressed by the sewing floor where there must have been hundreds and hundreds of people working in teams at machines producing all kinds of clothing for as far as the eye could see. And yes, it was well ventelated, unlike my room (and Andrew's) in the pre-A/C days around Winding Trail. Talk about sweat box. "Just a little more attic fan, please dad!" "Son, does Iram have an attic fan? Our electric bills are through the roof what with all those lights I find on around the house. Go back to bed, it's all in your head" (ha, ha). Back to American Apparel...I was also privy to get to enter Andrew's "office space," and we even shared a cup of cold water around the water cooler. I met the boss (definitely a friend first, entertainer second, and then a boss) and a co-worker named Jake. Word is that there are even some office pranks already starting up. Don't worry... I reminded young Andrew to avoid the weird jelly in the shoes.

We ended up on the roof of the 7 story building with a glorious view of the LA skyline on a rather clear, though hot SoCal day. After Andrew scanned his handprint to clock out for the day (no kidding...sci-fi stuff), I also got to see his apt, and we dined on Japanese food in the Los Feliz district before hitting the road. All in all a lovely day and I must say I'm proud of Andrew and what's he's doing in the City of Angels. He's working hard, he's fighting for justice (look out Mass Transit Authority), he's being innovative, and he's even got a badge. Keep up the good work Andrew! And the rest of you bloggers...next time your in LA, I highly recommend a jaunt down to American Apparel to see what it's all about.

4 comments:

sarahjane said...

looks like you got one grand tour, jake! even some water cooler banter? the whole hand-print scanner only solidifies my suspicion that american apparel is out to take over the world.

lena jo said...

Rumor has it Jacob, that you had to borrow Andrew's "Company" cell phone AND that Andy picked up the dinner tab? Whoa!

Bill said...

Ok, the comment about the attic fan. It was training for those hot LA days. Those times we went to a restaurant and I would not let you guys get soft drinks. OK, I feel guilty. But water is so much more healthier.
fyi (since you have all left), the A/C works fine (it is on today). The riding mower is swift and sweet. The snow blower does the job in a fraction of the time. I think back and think, these guys are better off without the attic fan. It has made you what you are.

Andrew said...

American Apparel is trying to take over the world, make no mistake about it. And yes, I did indeed pay for Jake's dinner and lend my celly but I still owe Jacob about 49 dinners and lots of minutes on the cell in back pay. No sweat Cub Cheese.
I'm back in the office now. I got here at 6:45 this morning, riding my bike through the city to work and watching the sun rise. It's the end of the week and I must say that I'm tired, but happy and satisfied and feeling lucky to work for an amazing job with an amazing company. I really feel this company has their eyes on the broader picture of things. It's exciting to be a part of it all.