Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Wesleys

I love lists. Its a list time of year. Here are my 2007 favorites.

MUSIC: I didn't listen to a lot of new music this year but here are three I liked:

  1. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga I wore this one out this year. It is fun from start to finish, great production and arrangements. My favorite track was "Black Like Me".
  2. Explosions in the Sky - All the Sudden I Miss Everyone If there was a song that completely blew me away this year it was "Catastrophe and the Cure" by these guys. Worth 99 cents.
  3. Jose Gonzalez - In Our Nature Simple, beautiful songs and great guitar playing.
BOOKS: Three books I read that I recommend to you:
  1. The Road - Cormac McCarthy About a father's love for his son as they walk down a road and try to survive after America has been torched in a nuclear holocaust. Eerily realistic.
  2. Middlesex - Jeffery Eugenides Our first Fort Wayne Book Club book. Full of Detroit history, Greek history, and everything you never knew about hermaphrodism. Oprah loved it, Pulitzer loved it, I loved it.
  3. Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson Our second book club book. About a man in his sixties who moves to northern Norway to get away from a tragic past but ends up having to face it and relive a summer he spent when he was fifteen, the last time he saw his father. I can tell you're all salivating.
Quoteable: "I guess I'll party like a rock star if everyone else is" Gramie at Joel's wedding

Unforgettable:
  • Wonderful week in Tahoe: (Andrew and Steve flip and stall jet-ski in the middle of the lake, polar bear swim, Caleb learns to hit a fastball, Buckdoefawn trivia, leave the kids with the grandparents for the day, come back and they all have massive splinters everywhere...hmmm....., look teepees real Indians (had to be in the car with Bill for that one)
  • Four one year olds in one year, Dad's cake mishap at Grace's party was amazing, I'm so glad we got that on video
  • IU v. MSU in the Izzone (not really, we were literally in the rafters) This year we'll be enjoying it Jeff's living room in HD baybee!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!!



1 comment:

sarahjane said...

I think we agree on books, at least. Thanks to you I've had "party like a rock star" going through my head for weeks. Nice list.