Thursday, August 18, 2005

Under my thumb.

I'm only titling this 'Under my thumb' because that's what song I'm listening to right now. And I know that Lena jams to the Stones.

So let's see, Thursday afternoon at work provides me with a free second to write a quick thought and update the folks.
It's been a crazy week and we're working on some really amazing stuff here at work. I've grown into this place and I've worked myself into some projects that I think are quite amazing. Our office is responsible for creating and implementing projects that will have a profound effect on our company, the environment, and the community. I thought I'd highlight a few that I'm working on.

We're beginning the process of starting a Charter school at American Apparel. This school would be primarily for our employees children who attend some of the worst schools in the entire LAUSD. I'm sure Ben could fill us all in on the short comings of the local school system. This isn't Pinckney out here! Anyways, this school would be run in much the same fashion as our company. Utiliyzing creative minds and innovative ways of doing business. We really believe with 4000 employees and now thier children we could change things and have an impact on this community. We're aiming to start this school Fall of 2007 at our facility.

Next month we will be installing solar panels on our roof which will power 20% of our building. Our monthly electric bill is $25000 so this will drastically reducuce the amount we spend and depend on dwindling power resources.

We're teaming up with the American Red Cross to provide clothing for disaster victims in the LA area. There were 517 'disasters' in LA last year and it's estimated that we will donate over 1 million pieces of clothing over the next year.

We're looking to re-surface our parking lot with a permeable surface that will allow water to penetrate and filter into storage containers. The water will then collect and be pumped to our roof to water the new plants and garden that will be installed on our roof (Our living roof). The rest of the water will be filtered and put back into the water table.

We're starting a music program which will highlight local bands and play their music in our stores. We look to generate sales with our music compilations and donate the proceeds to the 'Save the Music' campaign that's advocating music programs in California schools.

We're working on a million other projects too, I just don't have time to write that much about it.
I've been keeping busy at work but I've been enjoying it thoroughly. I guess I'm writing this too because I've been frustrated with a lot of short-sighted articles that have been published by ill-informed people. I've been inspired to learn and take on big projects since working here and I wish you all to pay a visit when you're in the area.

I'm heading up to San Francisco this week-end for a wedding. I'm living in Hollywood now with some really good people. And I'm thinking about growing a beard but I fear I've been bitten by Jacob's thin beard disorder.
I wish I could see you all soon. I'm thinking about making a trip to the Mitten state sometime this Fall.
I miss you all and I hope you're well. Send me a copy of the album Steve!
Peace family.

2 comments:

c-unitsdaddy said...

Sounds phenomenal, Ange. I especially am intrigued by the charter school which will produce amazing things right in the community. If only other businesses would be so PROgressive and socially concious; not only what's happening in their building but what's OUTSIDE! Viva American Apparel! And may be could you use a certain English/Spanish educator in the coming years.....Quien sabe????

sarahjane said...

sounds like you're getting to participate in a lot of goings'on.

awesome!