Sunday, August 28, 2005

CALLING ALL WHO CARE!!!

Here's the deal: I begin teaching the day after Labor day and I have been planning for the year. I have 6 classes (Zero prep hour ahhhh!) so I am trying to be extra organized. This year I am teaching Spanish 1 and 2. The theme of my classes (along with Language Development) will be Service Learning and Outreach with a target to the developing Latin world. The National Standards I teach to (these are a broad version of the district standards) are called Communications(speaking, writing), Comparisons (to English grammar), Connections , Cultures, and Communities (using language beyond school setting). So all my lessons and activities will hopefully align with one or more of those standards for teaching Foreign Language (sound familair , Ben?).

I'll get to the point: I want my kids to connect BEYOND the Pinckney bubble to the West Coast and beyond learning about the language and its people in Authentic RELEVANT ways. So I want anyone and everyone to have a hand in my classes. Last year, Sarah Jane hooked my kids up with sweet anti-sweatshop Tees to tie in with our concern for those in Latin America who are imprisoned by Corporate America. I had pen pals with Benny's hoodlums...better said...hook-ups not pen pals, ha! I've seen Jake's kids rally around and pray Cancer from my student's lungs, etc. I could go on; these things are amazing and they could be so much more. My students THRIVE during these REAL WORLD lessons and I wish to continue this year with "where the wind (spirit) shall blow"...

I am opening up this for dialogue. Hit me with some ideas this week. We'll chat via phone later. There is nothing more fun nor rewarding than to work with my best friends doing (biased belief) the greatest job in Education. Allow me to roll off a few ideas first...

Sarah and Wes: continue with anti-sweat design and have sarah (when she is up) come in and do a Pablo Neruda demo with the kids????? More ideas????? Bring 'em!

Andrew: WOW! American Apparel connection.!!!!!!..partnership with workers/my students at your factory??? Field trip to A2 American APP store and some Spanish Tapas downtown? You come in and stress the REWARDS of knowing another language...

Jake: a service learning competition (you love comepetitions Coach K)..pen pals....no se?????

Abby and Bec: Christmas project for Homework House???

Ben and Bec: A pen pal via e-mail and our own Gladstone/PCHS BLOGSPOT!!! AND A project for the orphanage in Ensaneda!!!!! How was Hawaii, by the way????

Stevie elementary ED and Shea world class sub....any thoughts from Mt. P????

Lena and Bill special guest speakers??? Ethiopia?? I don't care if it ain't Latin America!

THINK THINK THINK! This could be Napoleon SWEEEEEEEET! Love ya guys. Chime in soon. AND ben, i NEED your cell #.

jefecito

1 comment:

wes gaines said...

Nice, I listened to a radio program the other week that was talking about how the Latino population in America is spreading out. They specifically talked about cities like Lansing and Fort Wayne, where the HIspanic communities are growing like crazy. You should see if there are organizations in Lansing where your kids be exposed to what its like to be a foreigner in a city like Lansing. I don't know I gotta go.