Monday, August 22, 2005

One body, one follower, two churches

Joel called to be a follower of Jesus Christ through the will of God, Unto the cousings of God which are in various locations, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's: 3 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. 4 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ; 5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

I write to you because of your humor - to tell you I have enjoyed reading this blog. I write to you because of my love for you. I write to you to let you know that I am torn between two congregations.

I have recently formed a incredible friendship with my neighbors, jon and heather. They are a Godsend as I have had no close neighbors since moving into my condominum a year ago. They attend the Columbia vineyard. I love the church, I love the pastor and feel at home. I feel healing and refreshing from God when I am there. However, I am leading worship, have many friends, and have a history with another church in town, Christian Fellowship. I am attending both. CF on Friday and the Vineyard on Sunday. I can tell my parents are concerned cause whenever I tell them about the vineyard they get quiet. "you still there" I always have to say.
Anyway, I am confident the Lord will direct me in the path I should go.

Lastly,
At the vineyard, Josh and Jen McMullen, wes's close friends from fort wayne are attending the church. I saw this as an opportunity to prophecy. I approached them and asked "Hi, my name is Joel, welcome to the vineyard. I'm sensing God speaking to me about you two. Does Ft. Wayne mean anything to you?" yeah, we used to live there!! "I don't know what this name means, but does Wes Gaines ring in your heart?" "Yeah he was one of our good friends in Ft Wayne!!!!!! How do you know these things oh wise one, one so in tune with the voice of God?"

I'm his cousin. (sigh, big let down - I turned out to be a prophet in sheepskin)
We talked they, they mentioned the apple pyramid picture and the mysterious hand under Andrew's crotch. I didn't know that picture was known worldwide.

We at the church of Columbia, pray that Wes and Sara(h) would visit soon. That we would be refreshed in the Lord by your presence. That Josh and jen would be encouraged in the Lord by their visit and that you may impart some spiritual gift that would encourage the church.

Until we see each other again,

Love you all,

Joel

2 comments:

wes gaines said...

Joel, I have food to eat that you know nothing about! How we long to visit you in Columbia to impart some spiritual gift, but we have been prevented by the Spirit from doing so. We ahve heard about your church dilema. Foolish Joel, who has bewitched you? We admonish you to be in Fellowship with believers who will edify and build you up, and who will equip you to grow in the grace and gifts that you have so freely recieved. Please remember our friends Josh and Jen for they are dear to us, and never cease inviting them to your small group. Grace and peace to you Joel Eisleben.
Your cousin, wes

Abigail said...

To the cousin of the churches in Columbia write:

These are the words of him who pastors the Vineyard in Covina, whose wisdom is faultless and upon whose lips come not a biased word. Choose Vineyard young Joel. Why go anywhere else?

Alas, that does seem biased so perhaps some more helpful questions. Have you made a commitment to the leadership of CF to lead worship or is it kind of a loose understanding? Do you feel like a choice between one or the other is a soon necessity? Would committing to the Vineyard cause any problems in the other church with relationship and such? What opporunities to grow and use your gifts do you see at the Vineyard or are you better suited to just stay put? Is God leaning you a specific direction?

Sounds like a hard call at this point. Abigail and I have always found that as we seek God's best, he simply begins to lean our affections, interests, or desires in a certain direction and provides ways to make things possible. Our prayers go with you.

Next time you come to California, could you please bring my cloak and my scrolls. Grace and peace in abundance!