Friday, March 06, 2009

To Norm.


It was an honor playing for the great Norm Lampi during his legacy as coach at Maltby Middle School. Norm started coaching 8 years before I was born. For decades, he walked the sideline at what is now being dubbed, ‘Norm Lampi gymnasium’. I was there watching my older brothers play, as a child. That’s where magic happened. Norm should be in one of those NBA commercials:

a photo of Norm on the screen, soft music, ken burns effect, etc…
the text, well known by now, reads,
‘Where Norm happens”

Could somebody please make that?

When I first put on the orange and black practice jersey I realized I would be the last gaines or lampi to wear BULLPUPS across my chest.

Maybe it’s fitting that today I receive a package in the mail postmarked, Rosemary Lane. I pull out a letter that reads:

Andrew,

I hope these two basketball ties bring your teams success. I have worn them on game days for numerous years. I coached my last game, March 2. We lost to Scranton. 34 years, 750 games. Now it’s time to step down.

God Bless,

Norm


--

then I pull out two classic Norm Lampi ties, immediately filling me with nostalgia. These very bright and colorful ties, still smell like the Maltby gym! I mean, the Norm Lampi gymnasium.

These ties saw Jacob light the torch and set the bar way high for the rest of us. Maybe a little bit too high, jake!

They saw jefe coolin off his pistols as he ran down the floor after scoring his first hoop in the last game of his career.

They saw wesser, #00, reebok pumps, yell at refs and sink buzzer beaters.

They saw S. Lamps, MMS shuttle run record holder, go off on Scranton, Muir, Calrenceville, Hartland, you name it. Lamps owned the Live Oak Conference and was the only other Gaines or Lampi to make Varsity.

They saw Benny bend the rules a little bit and make the team on family-friend points. Roasted!

They were there in the locker-room before games, where coach Norm calmed the nerves of his players, in unabashed violation of separation of church and state, with heads bowed and eyes closed, blessing Jesus in prayer before game time.

Norm . you have blessed Jesus with your commitment to team, to family and friends, to community, and you have blessed me by passing on your great legacy.

My team won a game late in the fourth when I called a time out and drew up ‘BULLPUP’ on my marker board. I will wear your ties on the sideline with Maltby pride.

And to end, I would like to say that I am setting up a fund, in Norm’s honor for my Boys Basketball team.

Midway through the season, my 3-5th grade boy’s team is 2-2, and we still don’t even have jerseys - technical foul on our team outfitter, who has left us high and dry and seemingly walked off with our money. No callbacks, no email.

So we need to recoup this money and make the best of these dimmest of times.

I’m taking action and putting together an event so we can raise back our money and have a fitting end of the year ceremony for a team worthy of celebration.

For West Coast Gaines’, you may buy a ticket for $25 and come to a Clippers game with my team and my school on April 10th. For out of town Gaines/Lampis’, you may sponsor a player at the same amount, and send one of my boys to the game in your honor. As an added bonus they’re going to let us come in and have our last practice on the floor at Staples Center, but the boys don’t know this part yet.

I have to move 100 of these tix, and I fronted a bunch of my dough as a deposit.
Norm’s done his part for us all, and it would really mean a lot to me if you donated a small amount to the Norm Lampi fund. And if you’re in the area, I would love it if you stopped by a game or practice to cheer on the team.

Defense wins ball games, Norm Lampi sells tickets.

Andrew Gaines

1529 ½ Rosalia Rd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027

9 comments:

lena jo said...

WOW, what a fitting tribute to Papa Norm. Well said, Andrew, well said.
And a heartfelt thank you to Norm for the legacy he left not only to the Gaines/Lampi tribe, but to many young boys and girls who had the privilege of being coached by him.
In his honor, count me in to sponsor a player to the Clippers fund raiser.

Bill said...

Andrew, I could not have said it any better than the tribute to Coach Norm, and best friend Norm. Thank you for this, it was perfect.

wes gaines said...

check's in the mail. my favorite memory is when we went in at half time of the last game and Jeff still hadn't scored a point. Norm calmly told the team, "there's a young man who it would mean a lot to if he could score a basket." so he drew up the ole pick and roll, got jeff the ball at the top of the key and the rest is history. I also love how norm would always recognize those who didn't score on the PA the next day by saying, "great defense was played by ..." Jeff was Defensive Player of the Year that year, (if we could only go back with the skills we have now!)

Bill said...

As Wes was yelling at the ref one game, I think I am the only parent in Norm's illustrious coaching career to yell "coach, get him out of the game".

Jake said...

Norm picked up that whistle the year I was born. An amazing run to truly be proud of. Nice reflections Andrew. I'd love to hear Norm's All-Time Starting Five at every position.

Andrew, I'll check the calendar and if it's clear, I'll take a ticket for the game and would love to chaperone if needed. Perhaps I could even see if any at FCS would like some tix to go along with me.

We'll be in touch!

c-unitsdaddy said...

Andrew, priceless. Reflections, overwhleming.

I was there the other night with Steve, Grey and Shea when my Dad coached his last. What a great celebration along with tears of joy and thankfulness- and all the players, many teachers, admin, AD, family were there. The community. He walked off the court in similar fashion, congratulating his team with a big smile, the refs, Scranton's coach.

I guess I just don't see teachers/ coaches like him any more. To have done it for so long, and to still truly LOVE doing it...with no strings attached. It's truly the love of the game to see a coach at that level teach and inspire.

I'll have more formal thoughts on my father's tenure, as will Steve and a pic he took at last Wednesday's game. Incredible.

Wes and Ange, you mentioned "the shot and the guns."

Last night was the Teachers vs. Seniors Bball game where we balled it up for Invisible Children. I have told my students of the memory you referenced and they've waited a few years to see the sequel. I told them during the week, this is the year.

3rd quarter. O points. After hearing it from my students during the half time, I tell my colleague (and former GReen Bay PAckers Wideout) Tom to get me the rock. I get it out there, play some rock chalk D, and for some reason I am bringing the ball up the court. I pass it to my boy, G-money, I demand it back immediately, and chuck up a 3 ball. BA BOOM, bank-it-in, and in 7th grade Maltby fashion, jump into the stands and begin to shoot the entire crowd, pistol to sawed-off shot gun to semi-automatic machine gun style. Wicked. Embarrassing after the fact. Who cares. I scored.

Ironically, Andrew posts this today. Wow. We are are the "winners" in the games that Norm coaches coached, talented, or not so much. You win some and lose some though, and although immeasurable the effect and gain he's had on a community, his departure will be a loss.

Cheers to Dad, Uncle, Friend, Papa,....coach Norm.

c-unitsdaddy said...

Andrew, I failed to mention how proud Steph and I are of you in your investment in the youth of LA. Steph and I knew you were something special when for just a couple days in Tahoe you left such an impression on Caleb, a 3 year-old. I can just imagine what God does with you during a season with your students. Miss you, and count us in too!

norm said...

Thank you to all of you who took time to say such nice things. It means a great deal to me to have people who are so special in my life spend time sharing their thoughts. After reading the comments, a lot of fond memories were stirred. I have been blessed to have coached such fine young man as the Gaines men. Needless to say, it was wonderful to have coached Jeff and Steve. I do remember a parent somewhere in the stands, yelling, "take my son out!" Thank you again, and may God bless all of you Norm

steve lampi said...

Wow, I think I might cry. Nice post Andrew. What a privilege it was to be on my dad's team. He coached us so well and i can't name one young man on that team that would ever say a negative thing or complain about my dad as a coach and person. What an amazing man. My favorite memeory was dad coaching us to the second ever victory over the teachers in Maltby history, when Carrow, Adams, Griest, and Katakowski could still run. Technical Foul on Adams for swearing at Brian Willey during the game, Willey sinking 2 free throws to win it and the teachers asking for 2 more minutes. They were given them and the Bullpup kids held strong. Defense did win that game and teamwork, developed by my pops came out ahead. You're the best there is dad. We are all proud of you.