Thursday, June 07, 2007

FINALLY!!!!...The Cup Comes to SoCal



Cue Queen, "We are the Champions" because Lord Stanley's Cup will be spending this year just off the 57 and Katella. We finally brought it home tonight and now the party in the O.C. can begin. Emilio Estevez was right...the Mighty Ducks could and did win it all and to say that SoCal is Cup Crazy is putting it lightly.

Okay, okay, eeeaaaasssy fellas. Before the Midwest crew hits that comment button and lays the wood to this redcoat, bandwagoner, my tongue is planted firmly in cheek when I celebrate this win.

In actuality, I like the rest of LA/Orange County tuned into less than one period of the series. I went to LA Fitness right after the big game expecting to find it empty with all the locals celebrating the Cup only to find it packed out with no one seeming to notice. "What's the Dodger's score?" was about the only thing I heard. On the way home, local sports radio was talking about whether or not we should boycott the Bejing Olympics. Probably will be Page 2 of the LA Times tomorrow. Isn't it great that the last 3 Cup winners come from Anaheim, Tampa, and Carolina. Whatever happened to Boston, New York, Toronto, Chicago, and Detroit? All I can say is that the Anaheim PD is trying to figure out how to contain tomorrow's parade at Downtown Disney where they're expecting hundreds of Duck's faithful. As much as I detest Chris Pronger for giving it to Holstrom's dome (ala Claude Lemiux on Drapes), he did separate his shoulder in the first minute and still played the rest of the game with it popping in and out. Bring back McCarty and Shannahan, and get Stevie Y out of retirement for one more run!

3 comments:

wes gaines said...

You had me, I was about to go off like a BK slapshot! Kinda funny that So. Cal. could care less, and they beat Ottawa, Canada's capital, which would've probably shut down for a week to celebrate, and Detroit who always "wants Stanley". oh well. i think hockey's taken an even bigger hit with these teams winning the last few years. i just wanna see al sabotka raise that cup one last time.

Andrew said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I was nonetheless surprised and confused when I saw the front page of the LA Times today. I saw Al Niedermeir (spelling?) hoisting Lord Stanley only to think, The Ducks won the Stanley Cup? And, Why is it on the frontpage of the newspaper? Nobody cares. I didn't even know the Ducks were in the Finals to begin with, watched zero minutes of hockey this season, and only heard people talking about hockey to say how bad it's become. I too, miss the days of Shanny and Stevie Y. I miss the Don Shane sports reports, I miss coming home from baseball practice, reheating dinner and settling in with family and friends to watch the 'grind line' stick it to the Avs. Brad Karabelski where are you? "Get my shoes, we're going to the hospital!"

Ben and Becky said...

Anaheim is HockeyTOWN