Friday, October 28, 2005

Friday

Greetings Family, friends, and Cousin Joel,

The blog seems to be getting a bit idle so I thought I'd send in a quick update and then maybe you will too. It's Friday afternoon, 1:41 pm, and I just ate a plate of california and spicy tuna rolls. It feels good to finally have a still moment to sit and think and write a little bit about what has been going on lately.

I've been working hard lately completing this survey for the AQMD (Air Quality Management District). Because we have so many employees working in one building in downtown we have to comply with Rule 2202 which states that we have to have an AVR (Average Vehicle Ridership) of 1.75 or higher between the hours of 6:00-10:00AM. Basically they want to make sure that people aren't driving by themselves to work to ensure that air quality improves. To do this we had to have every employee to fill out a survey form, which is no easy task when you have more than 3000 employees and 90% of them don't speak English. We hired two translators and we surveyed groups of 40 employees from 8:00am to 9:00 pm every day for a week and a half. I explained the same thing in Spanish over and over and over. 'Esta es una encuesta de transporte', Over and over. But this was an awesome opportunity to meet and talk to all of our employees. There are some really amazing people working here. My friend Emily came out here to help translate as well and she ended up intervewing for a job while she was here and yesterday she called and told me she was offered the position and she accepted it. The position is titled Environmental Programs Representative and she will be working on a bunch of different projects to make American Apparel a more Eco friendly company. So Emily will move out here and begin work right after Thanksgiving.
So Emily will move out here and begin work right after Thanksgiving.

I also recently moved from Hollywood to East LA. My new address is 602 Moulton Av, Los Angeles, CA, 90031. Do a google maps search and check out my new neighborhood. I live right on the edge of the Industrial District in a place called 'The Brewery'. It actually is an old brewery that they've converted to loft apartments and art gallerys. Supposedly it's the biggest artist community in the USA and twice a year all of the artists open up their studios for an art showing. There's an Art showing on Nov 11-12 if any of the West Coast core would like to check it. I still share a place with my friend Patrick but we both have our own bedroom now and we have plenty of space. It's simple and nice and there's a picture on the wall of my 3 brothers and our second favorite cousin, Brent.

Patrick is out of town for about a month so I've compiled a list of things I want to do while he's gone. Some of the items on the list are learning to make sushi, taking a class on jewelry making, and completing my list of books to read.

There's this band I've been listening to all week that you might want to check out. They're called 'Animal Collective' and they sound different than anything I've ever heard before. I can't really describe it, you just have to listen to it and I will probably not be getting this for Uncle Eddie for Christmas. You gotta check it out:

Did you see the words?
Grass
Banshee Beat
Leaf House

I played pick up basketball in Echo Park for the first time in months last night. It evoked memories of The Boys in Blue and our legendary days in APU intramural basketball. I'm sore.

Hmmm, that's good for a Friday afternoon update. I've gotta finish up here and work on my Halloween costume. I'm going to be an iPod.
Ok folks.
Love,
Andrew

3 comments:

sarahjane said...

i see wes fixed up your links. he thought you were going senile for not being able to figure it out. i told him what happened, but he didn't believe the safari-no-link-icon fable, so i made him log in for himself and see.

wes, it's a true fact, look it up.

Bill said...

Andrew, thank you for the update. Mom and I just had a wonderful evening with Wes, Sarah, Abigail and Jacob in Marshall, MI. Fish and Chips has become my latest habit. (Sarah's too I think)
Friday night mom and I made the first BHS football game we have attended this year. It was the first playoff game against So. Lyon (Ben, remember that hit on the kick-off). Brighton won in the last 40 seconds with a touchdown. So our streak is in tack of attending a BHS footbal game every year. Not the same since Ben left. This weekend we are going to crash the BCC fall retreat to see Jacob and Abigail. It is a beautiful fall weekend in Mi. 60's, sunny and colorful trees. Mom and I just completed our speed walk in the park. Incredibly beautiful.
We are looking forward to being in LA the weekend of Nov 11-14. American Apparel is on our list of things to do. We also have 2 birthday's to celebrate. Possibly see Andrew's latest habitat?
Thanksgiving, mom and I are going to B'ham to spend it with Gramie. We'll leave Tuesday and come back on Friday. Such is the life of empty nesters who travel alot.
Joel, do you miss your aunt Lena and Uncle Bill?
Signing off. See you later.

Ben and Becky said...

Andrew, thanks for the update, glad to see that Emily got offered that job. It seems like it fits her perfect. Sigue hablando en espanol...p.s.-do you and emily want to be a guest speakers in my class? that would be cool. You could talk about the importance of being bilingual and your travel abroad experiences in Cuba? give it some thought!