Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Astrocamp & Worship Night with The DCB


Fresh 2005
Originally uploaded by jacobgaines.
Just checking in from Astrocamp located in Idyllwild, CA at about 6,000ft. It's amazingly beautiful sitting in a green meadow surrounded by mountain peaks with tall pines and periwinkle blue skies. The only thing that would make this better would be for Abigail to be able to come hang with us. The air is cool and crisp and the junior high students are in classes so I had a few minutes to blog some recent happenings.

Saturday night we (Abigail and I) took 120 students and parents to a night of worship with the David Crowder Band and Erwin McManus from Mosaic in LA. This year they had probably around 15,000 students show up and the DCD certainly didn't disappoint. This is the 2nd year we've done this and the highlight for me is seeing my students set free in worship. For many of them this is their first time experiencing worhsip in a larger setting like this and at first you can tell they don't know what to think. But 2 songs in they were jumping and dancing and just enjoying the Lord.

My other highlight this year was getting called by the promoter the night before asking if one of my students would share a testimony before the DCB band played. I was so proud of one of my 8th grade girls who pushed through her fear and did great in front of such a huge crowd. Jeff said I had to blog about my interaction with David Crowder backstage as we waited for her to go on stage. We sat there and made small talk about Sunsets and Sushi for about 10 minutes...then...awkward silence and a prolonged pause in the conversation. Carly (my student) looks at me like say something so I come up with the only thing on my mind which was...

Jacob: "How bout that Lady Bears B-ball team?" (Referencing the 2005 NCAA championship team from Baylor U)

Crowder: "Yeah, we was pretty stoked about that team"

Jacob: "Didn't they beat MSU?"

Crowder: "Sure did"

Jacob: "Yeah, I got some friends from there"

Crowder: "Cool"

Back to awkward silence!

Anyways, it's about time for dinner at Astrocamp so I gotta run. Much Astrolove to all!

2 comments:

Andrew said...

See any shooting stars Jake?
See you at the Sigur Ros show tonight!

wes gaines said...

Crowder covers a Sufjan Stevens Song on his new album, "Oh God where are you now"