Thursday, November 13, 2008

Travelog: if you're going to Asheville...


I've been in North Carolina for work, and spent today in Asheville, which is one of the raddest cities I've visited. Asheville is surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains, which John Denver famously called "almost heaven". Here's my travelog of things I like in Asheville for anyone who might go there (Norm, Debbie).
  1. Listen to 88.7 WNCW: great music and provides the perfect soundtrack for the city, including some local folk Americana artists

  2. Have breakfast at the Early Girl Eatery. The food is incredible and they use mostly local organic produce and meat. Its also cheap.

  3. Visit the Mast General Store on Biltmore Avenue, this store has tons of vintage toys, classic candy, and isn't overpriced.

  4. Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. One of the most scenic drives in America, gives you the best views of the mountains.

  5. Do the lunch buffet at Mela Indian Restaurant. Only $8.50, great beer list.

  6. Check out the local art at the Woolworth Walk.

If you get the chance Asheville is a great get away (check out the web album). Here were my three favorite bumper stickers I saw there (there are lots of them).

  1. Native Americans are living people not mascots.

  2. God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with a couple of vegetarians.

  3. Keep Asheville Weird

6 comments:

Andrew said...

I'll be in Asheville in two weeks!

wes gaines said...

sweet, i had no idea, you'll love it

Andrew said...

part of the big road trip out east.

c-unitsdaddy said...

Wes,

You had me at "beer list." Playin

what's hilarious is that my parents are there RIGHT NOW for Kurt Servies wedding this weekend. Call em and hook up for some breakfast. 810 772 1353


Waiting for next Wednesday with my boy! MADNESS!

Bill said...

Was jogging in Asheville when you were a small child (Wes), and a group a teenagers swerved their car to try and hit me. It was beautiful. Sorry for the downer.

debbie said...

Wes...we really enjoyed it also...I said to Norm that "I could live here"....
people were friendly, we were in Woolworth's, I had intended to get to the general store and we did walk the Biltmore village also as well as enjoyed a good fish meal in one of the MANY restaurants.
Wish we had hooked up!