Sunday, July 08, 2007

Ode to Magic Shell


We had another warm summer evening last night and so after putting Gracie to bed I set out for Vons with a craving for cold ice cream. Needless to say I came back with some Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough...what else? But, while purusing the ice cream freezer, I can across a shelf that took me back to Thursday nights with The Cosby's and Family Ties. Magic Shell. I had almost completely forgot about this mysterious goodness. I paused and picked up a bottle to see just what it was made of remembering how I used to put ample amounts of it on the creamy goodness. The back label informs you that this stuff is packed with nutritional magic. It has 16 g of fat and 210 calories in a 2 Tbsp serving. I remember using at least a quarter cup = 4 Tbsp = 32 g of fat = 420 calories. Throw that on top of at least a cup of cookie dough ice cream = 18 g of fat = 360 calories and you get the picture. 50 g's and about 780 calories. But, hey it made Theo that much cooler and Skippy that much funnier. I say we all indulge in Tahoe. Who's in?

6 comments:

wes gaines said...

that stuff was amazing, whoever concocted in a lab deserves a prize. the mal-nutrition was worth it. reminds me of dukes of hazard and smurf t.v. trays!

Andrew said...

i was a total magicshellaholic. i remember eating all of my ice cream first, and then eating all 210 calories of magic shell goodness at the end.

sarahjane said...

I think magic shell might have been what was missing from my childhood.

Abigail said...

my dad used to freeze spoons and then dunk them in magic shell (he thought it was better for him than actually putting it on the ice cream)...

Jake said...

I used to make a Magic Shell parfait in a cup, and even just flipped the lid a time or two and poured it down my throat... I found out if you didn't "shake well" before using the top layer was an oily clear liquid. Hmmmm???

sarahjane said...

i think stuart wins this jog down memory lane. that's incredible.