Saturday, March 17, 2007

First Round Leaderboard Updates and Reflections

First off...happy St. Patrick's Day everyone. After the opening round of "madness", I think this year's tourney so far has been notable for it's lack of "madness." The top 20 teams have all advanced and those like me who caught George Mason fever after last year, and picked a bunch of 1st round upsets, find themselves towards the bottom of the leaderboard. The shining star so far is the G-dora girl herself, Abigail. Perhaps, what I love most about her kicking my butt so far is the fact that I walked into the house lastnight after grabbing dinner, only to find her on the couch, wrapped up in the USC-Arkansas game. This only happens once a year, this is March Madness! Abigail picked 29 of 32 games correctly (290 points), and her competitive nemesis, L. Gaines is nipping at her heels with 27 of 32 (270 points). There's a bit of a log jam for third with Bill, Norm and D. Jinkins coming in with 26 of 32 (260 points). My only claim to fame so far is picking VCU over Duke (I believe I hinted at this), and Winthrop over ND. That's it, and now I'll go back to 12th place with my cousin Anna. Steve has made his yearly walk to the basement, and Sarah Jane is right behind at this point, but don't worry, everything changes today as the point values go up, and everyone gets new life. Look for a big upset today. Can the Hooseier take down the Bruins? Doubt it. But I had a Spartan dream lastnight! Can Izzo prove once again that he's one of the best come the middle of March. Down with UNC!

3 comments:

wes gaines said...

Halftime, and IU has 13 points. Ouch! But at least its still close. Unless the threes start dropping we're done. Anyways, look for the boilermakers to take out the gators tommorow. I'm out.

wes gaines said...

I can't believe we tied that game with under a minute to go. We'll be back next year.

Jake said...

Perhaps one of the best days of hysteria I've seen! Every game seemed to come down to the wire, with 3 games going into OT. OSU escaped with their lives as did UCLA. And what about Vanderbilt? Got my Red Bull on hand for another day!