Saturday, July 22, 2006

THE ADVENTURES OF FUTURE-DAD

Up to this point my role in this pregnancy has been pretty low-key, fix a meal here and there, bring the fan downstairs, give a back-rub, all tasks I can handle. As is in every pregnancy the woman (Sarah) is left to handle all of these rapid changes occurring daily to her body, while I'm usually left to observe and offer what little help I can. Well today I got called up to the majors! It is a beautiful summer day in the Fort, not too hot, a mixture of sun and clouds. We were attending the wedding of one our friends at a park close to our house, a perfect day for an outdoor wedding. The ceremony was beautiful, just a handful of close friends and family attended. After the ceremony a lunch was being served in a pavilion on the other side of the park. So Sarah and I and the rest of the wedding guests started walking over toward the pavilion. About 200 yards into our walk I got the first warning sign, Sarah gives the "I don't feel good, I need to eat now" signal. A couple steps later I get the "oh I need to sit down, I can't see anything". Heeding these two crys for help but still believing she can make it to the pavilion, I grab her hand and continue on. About five "drunken" steps later, I realize that I am now the only thing holding Sarah up. My time had arrived, I got the call and went to work! As the rest of the wedding guests and wedding party continued walking, I softly lowered my now fainted wife in the grass, so as not to distract from the wedding procession. Immediately I was joined with a member of the Smith family reunion who were celebrating nearby, we got her some water, and less than a minute later she was resting in the shade. The rest of the wedding guests became alerted as to what happened, but so as not to embarrass my wife I told them "Go, on. I got this under control". Later as we left the wedding, Sarah feeling much better, exclaimed to the bride and groom, "thanks for inviting us, sorry i fainted at your wedding". There you have it. Men, you just never know when you might be called into action. Be ready.

3 comments:

sarahjane said...

yes, yes this is all true. i fainted. except that wes's reaction was not, "it's okay everyone. i have this under control." his reaction was laughter. i picked my humiliated self up and walked to sit under the shade of the nearest tree. this was one of those "my body is no longer my own" moments all those pregnant moms tell me about.

lena jo said...

Oh, Sarah, I feel so badly for you.
Are you O.K. now?

sarahjane said...

well, you know, the pride is hurting, but i'm feeling fine. all day i just kept saying, "I fainted! I can't believe I fainted!" It doesn't seem real.