Sunday, May 07, 2006

A MILESTONE FOR BRIGHTON'S FINEST


For all y'all who have had the opportunity to be graced by Michigan's 4th most winninest baseball coach, number 1 body surfer, trend-setting hard core warm-up, oldschool reebok playa, Uof M most stroied 3 sport prospect, MI hall of fame coach, father, and friend, MARK CARROW...then CHECK THIS OUT! He is the talk of every paper, across the State and his 10-1 bulldogs could send him a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP this year as he goes out on top. And all he has to say is, humbly, "What about my wife, and those retiring this year...why don't they get this attention, too? Because Sports are idolized?" Mark, we love you and are pulling for you ll the way. Here's the link to the story:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060505/SPORTS09/605050410

And this ain't one of Mary's stories..if you know what I mean.

***To honor Mark, those who can, post a memory as a comment. Gracias.

5 comments:

wes gaines said...

The best memory I have of Mark is driving down to Daytona in the conversion van eating gummy bears, listening to Beach Boys (each tape labeled), and watching Mark tangle in hte back with their golden retriever "Beezer"

Abigail said...

Mine is 8th grade b-ball at Maltby when Mark was coaching me. I was driving to the hoop and caught an elbow to the face from Mike Picucci. Carrow called no foul and so I slammed the ball into the ground in anger and headed back down the court. Suddenly, I hear "GAINES, GET OVER HERE!!!" and Mark is all red in the face. He got up in my grill ala the General and told me, "One more stunt like that and I was out!" It humbled me big time and was a turning point in my b-ball career. Thanks for the tough love Mark!

c-unitsdaddy said...

My dad went as far as to say that Mark turned Brighton's Sports program around 30 some years ago, starting with the football, basketball, and then baseball. Cheers Mark. "Norm, how did he do it?" "Old School Style." General Montgomery Knight would be proud.
"No earrings, no long hair,etc."

c-unitsdaddy said...

Any thoughts Andrew?

Andrew said...

i'll never forget one day late in a baseball practice when Coach Carrow had already thrown Batting Practice to every guy on the team, 20 pitches, all straight down the middle. I was playing deep in right field as usual when a ball headed out my way. I caught it and lazily tossed the ball into Coach Carrow and it rolled up to his feet. "GAINES, hold your glove up!" yells Carrow. So I held my glove up next to my left shoulder and Carrow fires the ball on a b-line straight into my glove without me moving it. The whole team stood there amazed. "Throw the ball!" he yells.