Tuesday, May 02, 2006

EMERGING CHURCH: Part 2 Listen?

Hey, I heard from wes, and spoke to Jake a little about it already. If you guys want to check out the sermon I was talking about from Sunday (previous blog: Emerging Church: Friend or Foe), here's the link to the website. Then scroll down to the "teaching from our evening services" and Dale Van Dyke's sermon is there. Listen to it; I'm curious. I also suggest, you join me in reading "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell if you have the time too. Wes, the next book club? Can I get an ok to implement that, my boy? Since you're the Curriculum Director and your bride the hot librarian (just playing man.....waaaaattch it!) It may make for some sweet dialogue.

Funniest thing I heard today at school: One of my buddies I car pool with has kind of an edge to him and his class really gets heated (That's why everyone wants to get into it---Think about the teacher from Colorado who recently got some heat for the comment -taken out of context-about the president)

Anyway, he was showing the film "OUTSOURCED" to his freshman today about jobs going overseas. He noticed that alot of his kids had their heads down "sleeping" so he just blirted out,

"Whatever, you're gonna wish you watched this ten years from now when you're living in a cardboard box under a viaduct seeing as all the jobs go to India." "I'll just drive by and throw the video at you!"

From the mouths of educators....... (I got more where that came from if you want) Just couldn't stop cracking up.

love ya,

jefe

http://www.urc-msu.org/sermon_audio.cfm

3 comments:

Abigail said...

I'm in on the Velvet Elvis read and think some healthy discussion would be cool. I need to reread the article on Bell's book since I was trying to do it while teaching and that proved difficult.

As far as funny stories from the classroom go...that was epic and reminiscent of the time Mr. Goulet told our sophomore class about the sexual escapades of the Hamburg township supervisor.

In my class today I had a funny moment as well. I was asking my class who were some popular female celebrities who they thought were made famous mostly by outward appearances. They were throwing out JLo, Jessica Alba, etc. Then one of my 7th graders, who prides himself on his vast knowledge of Star Wars and is a self-proclaimed Star Wars fanatic told the class that he was fond of Carrie Fischer (Princess Lea). I had to turn around to keep from losing it! When I turned back around he was just giving the class the raised eyebrows. Classic.

Late.

c-unitsdaddy said...

Hi guys this is Steph and I have to use Jeff's ID because I can't remember mine. I wanted to respond to what Wes wrote regarding the Bell discussion. First of all, I agree with you about the fruit but the problem he had was that the gospel was being changed and distorted. Acts 20:28-30 Paul warns us that we NEED to KNOW the word and study it, "And now beware! Be sure that you feed and shepard God's flock- his church, purchased with his blood- over whom the Holy Spirit has appointed you as elders. I know full well that false teachers, like vicious wolves, will come in among you after I leave, not sparing the flock. Even some of you will distort the truth in order to draw a following. Watch out!" I am not saying at all that Rob Bell is doing this, I am saying that we need to challenge the things we hear, read, and are preached with what God's word says. I am all for a discussion group about this book in hopes that we can all sharpen and encourage eachother in Christ. The entire underlying message was that the gospel matters and should not be changed. The Bible transcendes time and culture and was written by God to reach all people across all ages. It can be explained differently but the meaning must stay the same. That was the Pastor's major claim that the meaning of the gospel was being changed. The one area I was disappointed about was that it was suppose to be comparing 3 different books on the emergent church and for some reason (lack of time I guess) it was all about Velvet Elvis. I believe that Rob Bell loves the Lord and desires to reach the lost, but I also believe the bible should not be changed or rearranged to meet our needs. God is clear and it is a finished work. I think it would be great if we could all read the book and pose questions, comments, or concerns, while reading. What do you think?
Adios,
Steph

wes gaines said...

I'm in! We'll have to read the book. However, I think what Bell and others like him are trying to do though is not to change the message but instead the way the message is presented or related to people, like Paul did at Mars Hill. Lets find out.