Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Foothill Happenings


It's been awhile since I've swung into the blog, and after quite a busy week, I thought I'd give some updates on life as I've known it.

I think some of you know that I'm the faculty advisor for a club at FCS called Schools for Schools in conjunction with Invisible Children. We have a sister school in the war torn area of N. Uganda called Sacred Heart Secondary School. You can check our website out here where you can even make an on-line donation. Well, this past Friday night, the kids and I had our first big fund raiser. We had a benefit concert called Foothill Rocks for Invisible Children and it was a smashing success. We sold over 300 tickets and then sold t-shirts, bracelets, glow-in-the-dark everything (necklaces, earrings, etc.), and when all the dust settled, we raised over $6500! I was so proud of my students who really put their heart's into this great cause and are making an impact in the longest running war going on to date. We had some pretty sweet local bands. It was crazy fun, and now I'm exhausted. You'll see on our website that we're now in 8th place out of 120 some schools and the winning schools gets to send their teacher to Uganda!

On a much more sober note around the school. We found out last night that one of our 3rd graders was killed in a freak accident involving an off road quad and a train. His sister, Amanda, who was in my class for 2 years and is now a sophomore is in extremely critical condition in Phoenix. She has major swelling in the brain and is on life support. So, I'm asking all bloggers to pray for the miraculous in her life and for her parents who I know well and are already dealing with losing their son, Jacob. Amanda has been the only jr. high girl I've ever known to invite her Bible teacher to her 14th b-day party. She's a very sweet girl and our staff is taking this pretty hard. I'll keep you posted.

Happy Thanksgiving to all this week. We're headed back to Tahoe on Wed. to spend the holiday with Abigail's family. Seems like just yesterday we were all sitting on the deck enjoying the summer mountain air. The air this time around will be a bit more brisk. Much love!

3 comments:

Bill said...

Jacob, mom and I were so saddened when hearing your voice mail about the two young people in that accident. We cannot imagine what the parents are going through. We will pray for that family and for you.

We will miss being with you at Thanksgiving. Maybe one year we can make the treck to Tahoe. What a great memory this past summer at Tahoe. We are having Andrew, Musio Musica from Poland at our home for Thanksgiving. They want to expereince an American Thanksgiving. Also the Hatfields will be joining us. Hopefully Sandy brings her pink dish. There was a Bruce Blair sighting at Meijers. You never know. Wes, Sarah and Cash make the trip up on Friday.

We miss all the Gaines' in SoCal. Happy Thanksgiving.

sarahjane said...

That's pretty cool that you've raised all that money for the school in Uganda. I didn't know you were doing that. So sorry to hear about the family from your school. Happy Thanksgiving.

c-unitsdaddy said...

Jake so sorry to hear about the tragic situation with your student and her family. Our prayers are with her and her family. and yours

Also, what a coincidence! Although we haven't even begun to touch the groundwork laid by your club, my cultural awareness group just watched Invisible Children and are INTRIGUED by the Schools for Schools initiative too! We had a fundraiser "Haunted House" exposing the haunting issues like those in Uganda and others in the developing world. So like it is so encouraging and I can't wait to tell my leadership team about your action towards the project! How cool, Jake! I wish I had you for my teacher.

Love you and have FUN in Tahoe...jump off some cliffs for me.....arrrggghhhhhh jk