Friday, June 09, 2006

copa loca


copa loca, originally uploaded by andrewgaines.

I must admit that I'm a little bit cup crazy. Like back in '94 when the cup came to the USA and I was inspired enough to make a Jordan-esque comeback and play another season of U-14 Community ED fall soccer. Jon Saunders had all the cool soccer jerseys, Chris Myers would do dribbling drills in the front yard, Tony Meola in goal, Coby Jones where did you go??

I think it's funny how nobdy in the USA really pays any attention to soccer, but once the World Cup comes around everybody and their mother's got Cup fever. That seems so very American, but I'm into it. That's what the Cup does to you and I love it.

Today I got into work and saw that the Germany - Costa Rica game was at halftime with Germany leading 2-1. So, I jumped back on my bike and rode back home to catch the 2nd half. Cup Crazy.

And then I grabbed my Mexican flag and headed back to the factory with the flag draped over my back like a cape. I gave a tour of the factory to a group of students whilst wearing my Mexican flag cape locking in life long friendships with thousands of Mexican-Americans who work here. Cup Crazy.

I'm going with my gut and picking Portugal to win it all but if the US wins I'm flying over to Germany to celebrate. Becks and Wiener Schnitzel for everyone! Cup Crazy.

3 comments:

Abigail said...

Here's a cup crazy question for you. Which one of Wes' former Express teammates came by the house before attending the USA/Columbia game at the Silverdome? (Hint: Firey Freckles)

wes gaines said...

jon houser- we didn't have a lot to talk about, kinda akward, and that was the last we saw of him

Bill said...

Andrew, love the Frank Sommers shoes. All you need is Bermuda shorts.