Thursday, September 03, 2009

Sermon Prep Help

Hey Everyone,

I know we have some poets and song writers and avid readers amongst us so I need to enlist you for some help as I prepare a teaching to begin our 12 weeks series on the Psalms this Sunday. I'm going to begin with a little intro on poetry and prayer which is what the Psalms essentially are. I want to talk about how poetry is the language of the soul and that it gives expression to longings and feelings that simple prose cannot get at. I want to give some examples of this by referring to some great lines of poetry that express passion, and depth, and bring out the beauty of the ordinary. So if have any favorites and could post them as comments, I'd be much obliged and you may make it into this Sunday's message. So essentially rather than saying, "It was a beautiful sunset" how would the poet say that in a way that makes you feel like you were sitting there watching it with him or her? Okay, hope that makes sense. Please help!

4 comments:

wes gaines said...

oh you gotta read "osso buco" by Collins

sarahjane said...

Oh, man! This sounds like so much fun!

Pablo Neruda might be a good poet to read from. He's known for his beautiful odes to simple things--odes to socks, to a dictionary, to tomatoes. He also has this poem called, "The Poet's Obligation" about how a poet's "obligation" is to bring the beauty of the ordinary world to those who aren't experiencing it--to make them see the beauty he sees.

e.e. cummings' poem "i carry your heart" is one of my favorite poems. There's even an audio of Garrison Keillor reading it online. It's
lovely to listen to!

Well, I'll cut myself off their to allow others' responses. My dad can rest easy knowing I've finally used my degree! :)

c-unitsdaddy said...

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" William Shakespeare - make a woman melt

and if I remember from my Brit poet classes at State, William Butler Yeats had some steamers....(Song of Songs)

I agree with SJ and Neruda. He's one of the reasons I am married. Oh yeah.

steve lampi said...

Sorry Jake, I'm not to in to the whole reading thing. Super Fudge, tales of the 4th grade nothing, How to eat fried worms, James and the giant peach-now that one made me feel like I was really there. I do remember being much easier to engage and imagine imagery when I was little. I think that goes for everyone though, we get a bit rusty on the whole imagine thing as we grow, at least it seems. Didn't Wes have an imaginary friend named "Hammerhead" who was a elephant and shark or something? Now that is imagination.