Monday, January 12, 2009

The Courage of Detroit



Lena Jo told me about this article in Sports Illustrated, written by Mitch Albom, about the Detroit's ups and downs in sports and in business. Later in the day I caught Mitch Albom on the Charlie Rose in a compelling interview, standing up for Detroit as a proud citizen.

It made me proud to be from Michigan, and again, brought back every single memory, good and bad, growing up as a Detroit sports fan.

You can read the full article here.

And watch the full Charlie Rose Mitch Albom (near the end of the video) here.

"To hell with the depression. We're gonna have a good year."

5 comments:

wes gaines said...

That's a great article Andrew, it reminded me of when Ben wore the "Thumbs Up Mike Utley" shirt almost everyday after that sports tragedy. I love the D-town and Michigan and even though we only live 45 mins from the southern border it always feels like home when we get up into the mitten. Here are some of my detroit/michigan related resolutions:

1. Take my son to a Tigers game this year. One of my favorite memories growing up was going to Tiger's Stadium, listening to dad's electric razor and WJR announcing the starting pitcher for the game, hoping it would be Jack Morris.
2. Eat a meal in Mexico Town (never been there).
3. Attend an opera a the Detroit Opera House (never been there either).
4. Visit the UP, preferably camping (Steve I know you can make this happen!!)
5. Read Hemingway's short stories about northern Michigan (Big Two Hearted River).
6. See Tahquamenon Falls (as part of #4)
7. Take our Toyota Camry Wagon on the Woodward Dream Cruise (j.k.)

lena jo said...

As you may know, I have a love-hate relationship with Mitch Albom. However, he gained a lot of my respect when he wrote that article and when I listened to the interview.
We are not the gum on the shoe of the nation and I, too, was pretty incensed by the way the big three auto execs were berated by politicians who had just handed out billions to the Wall Street guys-no strings attached. Thanks Andrew for the post!

lena jo said...

Open invitation to lunch at Mexicantown followed by a Tigers game to any and all who want to come.
I know a great little restaurant: Lupita's Taqueria.

Bill said...

Delightful place to live.
Elegant
Tolerable
Rolling hills
Outlandish football team
Interesting people
Too much snow

debbie said...

I have never cared for Mitch, actually refuse to listen to him, but here...kudos to him.