Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Darfur

On Sunday I attended a community forum where they showed the documentary Darfur Diaries, and then had a discussion about the Darfur crisis lead by Suliman Giddo a Darfuri who lives in Fort Wayne. It can be overwhelming thinking about what is going on over there, and to consider how we in the U.S. can get involved. Suliman founded an organization called Darfur Peace and Development based in Fort Wayne. For those looking to get involved this is a great place to get started. The website is really informative and discusses various ways we can help. One project they talked about on Sunday was the Solar Cooker Project. This project provides women in refugee camps with a way to cook and purify water without having to leave the camp, which is when they are often attacked. Read more about it (scroll down the page). The solar cookers cost $7 and are produced in Sudan and distributed directly to the people who need them. This is a great project to raise money for in church, school etc. Anyways thought I'd share that with you.

4 comments:

sarahjane said...

By the way, Jeff, Wes bought a solar cooker in your name as our birthday gift to you. feliz cumpleanos!

c-unitsdaddy said...

Wes and Sarah, That means a lot. Thanks for the card in the mail too. Wow, I wish we were in the Fort and able to be at the "HUB" of the Darfur to US migration. How can Steph and I purchase a solar cooker?

I did think and mention to my 4 Corners kids about an "all nighter showing of documentary" at our school or some venue where we can raise AWARENESS more and have the proceeds go to Darfur....may be the solar cooker.

As I think about just the tremendous hope and security that something we just throw in our cupboard every night can bring to a people in dire need of peace, it fires me up (no pun intended) to want to do much more than we have ....and we can!

You guys are awesome; and thank you so much for that donation. the most meaningful thing one can give.

Copious AMOR,

Jeff

c-unitsdaddy said...

By the way, I did crack-up for like 3 minutes at the cartoon on the card. I don't know why? I guess you knw my humor...and maybe the right timing. Ha...Thanks Sarah (I know that was all you)..much love Wes

sarahjane said...

Jeff, if you click on the link in Wes's post, it takes you to the DPADO website about the solar cookers. There's info on where to send money, who to call, etc. Glad you enjoyed the Far Side comic.