Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Osama, not Bin Laden


So, I thought I'd let you know that we finally watched Osama last night. I liked it (I think we both liked it) and was really surprised how fearful it made me of the way other people--women especially--are living in this same world at this same time that we are. I couldn't believe that these things were happening across the world as we were watching the movie--that people can't relax and be at peace in their own homes, in their own skin. Instead of leaving me depressed in the end, however, it kind of excited me to use the freedom and opportunities we have here to make a change in other places like Afghanistan. No, this does not mean I'm considering military service.

I was kind of wondering what the rest of you thought after seeing it (those of you who have). . .

4 comments:

wes gaines said...

I liked the movie and throw it into that category of movies that everyone should see "once" (schindlers list, hotel rwanda) because it was very difficult to watch. Movies like this should be seen though because it makes the horror that the Taliban regime inflicted on its people so real that it becomes more than just another news story. At the end of the movie my only consolation was that the Taliban is no longer in power. I read another interesting article (yeah, yeah) that asks whether an armed civilianry could prevent genocide and oppression from ruthless governments. Hmmmmm... here is the article URL if you're interested
http://law.wustl.edu/WULQ/75-3/753-4.html

Ben and Becky said...

Um Im sorry to say but I thougt that was the most depressing movie I have every seen, for me it was something that left me feeling horrible and I wasnt able to come out of it feeling anything...just devistated. Lets just say I had to immediately watch Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen with Lindsay Lohan to even be able to sleep.
Becky

Andrew said...

City of God is another one of those movies everyone should see 'once'. for me, anyways.
andrew

lena jo said...

I say amen to Becky's blog!