Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The View from Temecula







"Southern California Burning" was a headline I saw yesterday, and that is an understatement. As you all know the fires are everywhere, including Temecula. My school is an evacuation center for some 300 out of the 500,000 and growing residents who had to leave everything. As I was helping today, I couldn't even begin to grasp that feeling, of knowing your home and all of your memories are at risk of burning to the ground. A few of our teachers at my school have lost everything...Here are some pictures from our home of the Temecula fire, and the adjacent fire that is in Fallbrook.

6 comments:

wes gaines said...

Unbelievable, stay safe!!

sarahjane said...

Geez, I didn't realize you were so close to the fires! Hope that you're able to be some kind of comfort to the people you're helping. We're thinking of all of you.

Jake said...

I'm writing from the top of my roof with garden hose in hand... OK, not really but the air is quite eerie with an orange like haze and the smell of fire is in the air. So far the San Gabriel's have been spared. The Santa Ana winds are said to be dying down today, which should give firefighters at least a chance. I've never seen anything like this before. They're saying more people displaced than Katrina in San Diego alone. I'm just heeding Larry Karabelski's advice about playing with fire. Can anyone recall it?

lena jo said...

Those are very eerie pictures Ben.
I knew that your high school was a designated shelter, but didn't know that there were actually people there.
I'm glad you're able to help. I can only imagine how it must feel to have to evacuate your home.
And as for Larry K., wasn't it,"if you play with fire, you'll wet the bed?"

Bill said...

B&B, please keep us updated on what is happening.

Ben and Becky said...

School is canceled for the second day in a row- the smoke is too thick. The best description now is that it seems overcast-yet no clouds, just smoke.